James W. Spencer (Civil Engineering, B.S., 1949, M.S. 1951 ) became the first leader of the Cornell Local Roads Program (CLPR). Established after WW II, the program provided comprehensive applied research and extension support to county and town highway superintendents. CLRP has hosted “Highway School” for 70 years. Pictured are James W. Spencer and Chuck Ditmars performing hand soil tests in 1956.